Nowadays, developing foreign language is considered an essential thing in teaching. So the teacher who teaches foreign language is required to investigate new methods of teaching a foreign language. While implementing the lesson, students should also be interested to the lesson. There are so many methods that are used in teaching process. So, it can be said that it should be connected with real life situation during the lesson. It means that using authentic materials in teaching can be considered as new method for developing of teaching foreign language.
The purpose of the researcher is to review what researchers tell us about the necessity of authentic materials in teaching vocational college students, the review also explores the role of authenticity in designing materials for specific purposes.
As it is stated the definition of the terms of “Authenticity” and “Non Authenticity” in Wiki dictionary.
- concern the truthfulness of origins, attributes, commitments, sincerity, devotion, and intentions;
- having an origin supported by unquestionable evidence; authenticated;
- entitled to acceptance or belief because of agreement with known facts or experience;
The state or condition of being Non authentic.
As indicated by Rost (2005) authenticity is one of the terms which analysts discuss tentatively. Kilickaya (2004), states that authenticity has been put under profound discourse by numerous scientists. Subsequently, they thought of various definitions for this term. Characterizing "authenticity" is an essential component for both materials creators and dialect instructors, who will utilize authenticity in authentic educating in ESP classrooms. There were various reviews drew in with considering realness and the utilization of authentic materials in ESP classes. For some analysts, authenticity is exceptionally critical, in light of the fact that it readies the learners for this present reality circumstances as far as utilizing the objective dialect. Moreover, using authenticity in the class gives a great chance to practice with real world situation. Therefore the researchers consider that authenticity is essential in processing of learning any language.
Characterizing “authenticity” is not a simple matter. Along these lines, there are different contrasts among researchers, with respect to the meaning of this term. As Tatsuki (2006) "authenticity is brought as being synonymous with validity, realness, honesty, legitimacy, unwavering quality… of materials." Furthermore, MacDonald (2006) expresses that ―if a correspondence happens between the writings utilized by instructors in the classrooms and sorts of writings utilized as a part of this present reality, for this situation, these writings can be respected authentic.
As Breen (1985) there are four sorts of validness. These are: content credibility, learner genuineness, errand legitimacy and realness of the classroom. These sorts are examined underneath: Authenticity of content: alludes to the real characteristics of a content. Authentic messages with regards to language learning, implies any wellspring of data used to help learners to build up a legitimate comprehension.
- Authenticity of learners: alludes to the capacity of learners to translate the importance exhibit in the content like the local speakers do in this present reality.
- Authenticity of the undertakings: alludes to the picked assignments accommodated the learners to be occupied with a legitimate correspondence and credible goes for learning.
- Authenticity of the classroom: the most vital part of the classroom is to empower the learners to experience "open and relational sharing of substance of dialect taking in, the offering of issues to such substance, and uncovering of the best means and systems to conquer such issues." Breen (1985, p. 67).
However, as Kilickaya (2004) said "what is normal in these definitions is introduction to genuine language and its utilization in its own group". Moreover, Mishan (2005) wants to set a few criteria for authenticity as opposed to characterizing the term. As indicated by her "Authenticity is a variable of the:
- Provenance and origin of the content.
- Original informative and socio-social motivation behind the content.
- Original setting (e. g. its source, socio-social setting) of the content.
- Learning movement induced by the content.
According to Adam Grant (2016) Authenticity means erasing the gap between what you firmly believe inside and what you reveal to the outside world. As Herod (2002) said authentic ‘materials’ are designed to imitate the real word situation. It means that authentic materials are done by native speakers and it is exploited by teachers to the foreign language learners. So Herrington and Oliver (2000) gave a new term “authentic learning”. This term is obviously related to the learners’ real life and deal with the real life situations. Nunan(1999) gives another definition for authentic materials: “ spoken and written materials, which are not intended for use in teaching. Everything can be authentic materials, it uses to entertain, to get new things and may be to be aware of the world but not for pedagogical purposes.
In order to differentiate, Adams(1995) and Miller(2003) take research on authenticity and non authenticity:
- language created for genuine correspondence;
- they may contain false begins and fragmented sentences;
- they are helpful for enhancing the open parts of the dialect.
- they are exceptionally intended for learning purposes
- the dialect utilized as a part of them is counterfeit. They contain all around shaped sentences constantly.
- they are helpful for instructing language structure
Non authentic materials are devices utilized by instructors keeping in mind the end goal to encourage the learning of dialect. This kind of materials are proposed, changed and adjusted to fill educational needs. They incorporate tapes, recordings, exercise manuals, photocopies… and so on. Kennedy and Bolitho (1984) consider disentangled messages as a weight which keeps learners from managing this present reality of their branch of knowledge.
With other word, non authentic materials are less demanding, reasonable, they are adjusted for a specific perspective, pertinent, concentrated on what understudies are learning at the point, and get clear target to create. In any case, at times they are not uncommonly made for classroom utilize, for example, news papers in spite of the fact that they give authenticity. They need validness, they help understudies to learn yet in troublesome what's more, tired way. That is, the instructor needs to discover distinctive approaches to educate to include furthermore, keep up understudies in classroom; it is on the grounds that understudies lost the inspiration to see dependably similar materials to contemplate.