The computer is often used as an effective help for pupils at the lesson. There are many CD educational programs and methods for studying the English language. The computer can be used in studying new vocabulary, improving such skills as reading and listening comprehension, etc. A main objective of training the foreign languages at school is the formation and development of communicative culture of schoolchildren, training to practical mastering by a foreign language. The problem of the teacher consists in creating conditions of practical mastering by language for each pupil, to choose such methods of training which would allow each pupil to show the activity, the creativity. Last years is even more often brought up a question on application of a new information technology in high school. It not only new means, but also new forms and the teaching methods, the new approach to training process.
Benefits of Computers in the Classroom:
Student activities are naturally low risk. The actions are between the learner and the computer only.
Students are able to work at their own pace; they can easily move on to another assignment if they finish ahead of the class.
Specifically when using ESL software, the computer is an extremely patient tutor. It is not in a rush, nor does it have to answer the rest of the class' questions. The computer works one-on-one with the student and moves along with them, never too fast or too slow.
On the computer, students can easily go back and relearn something they do not understand during an activity. With a teacher, it may take time to go over the information again, or it may be embarrassing to ask the teacher a question Researchers have found that students write more proficiently and fluently when using the computer Students are able to learn skills for the work force as they learn the English language. Knowing computer programs and how to use them is important in finding work and performing work efficiently.
A computer incorporates culture, grammar and real language use in the classroom while students gain access to audio, visual and textual information about the language.
The Advantages of Computer in Organizing English Teaching and Learning: Looked at from the point of view of the teaching models and of language as information processing, the computer has certain strengths of handling the English teaching and learning. Four distinct advantages of the computer can be recognized:
- Its capacity to control presentation. Unlike a book, it can present fragments which add up to a whole; it can do so with any built-in time delay chosen by the students or selected for him. It can combine visual or graphic information with text; it can highlight features of text using color and movement. Potentially this is a great advantage over the linear fixed presentation of a book.
- Its novelty and creativity Oddly enough the computer is creative. Unlike any other classroom aid, it can vary the exercise each time. It is done and adapted its language to what the students produce, within certain limits.
- Feedback. The computer is capable of analyzing what the student does and taking account of this in what it does next. One way of using this capability is through error correction; the student's mistakes can be characterized and the appropriate advice given to him; or the computer may best its next move on an
- analysis of what the student types, whether in terms of increasing difficulty of the exercise, or of an answer in an exercise, or of altering the screen display.
- Its adaptability. The first three advantages of the computer applied to the student, the last applies to the teacher. Unlike books or tapes, which are produced in a single uniform from publisher, computer programs can be adapted by the teachers to suit the needs of their students. They must be capable of contributing to the achievement of the practical, cultural, and educational aims of learning a foreign language.
So, modern pedagogical technologies such as training in cooperation, the design technique, use of a new information technology, the Internet — resources help to realise the psychological approach in training, provide an individualization and differentiation of training with the account of abilities of children, their level trained, propensities etc.