In the modern world, scientists have made many inventions to make life easier and improve the quality of life. These are all kinds of household appliances, various equipment, computers, the Internet. The Internet can rightly be called one of the best inventions, as it is currently used by almost every person.
The Internet has intruded very tightly into human life. A person uses the Internet in various spheres of his life. And one of these areas is the field of education. It can be rightfully assumed that in modern society education is closely connected with social networks, especially it was clearly noticeable when education in educational institutions was conducted in a distance format. Learning a second language is one of the most important areas in the modern world. Young people actively use Internet resources to learn foreign languages.
Internet sources can be used for various educational purposes. The global Internet creates the conditions for obtaining any information necessary for students and teachers. In addition, students can take part in various competitions and olympiads held on the Internet. It is important to note that now it has become possible to participate in these events not only at the state level, but also at the global level.
To the Internet information resources used in the learning process, these include:
- databases, information systems, reference files, dictionaries, reference books;
- training systems, courses, programs for self-education;
- educational video and audio recordings;
- electronic libraries (newspapers, magazines, books in electronic form);
- distance learning courses;
- email, etc.
The main advantages for students of using the Internet in the educational process include:
- improving computer literacy (improving the skills of handling and working with a computer and the Internet);
- development and improvement of skills of independent search for necessary information and work with it, as well as training and research;
- formation of practical skills.
On the Internet you can find many resources that will help you learn the language. And you can also take online tests to determine the level of language proficiency, try yourself on preliminary international exams (mock tests), such as SAT, IELTS or TOEFL.
In foreign language education, great importance is given to communication, interactivity and autonomy of learning, and, importantly, to learning the language in the context of culture. The formation of intercultural competence is impossible without communication in the target language, and IT helps to simulate learning situations or implement theoretical skills in a real act of foreign language communication, including with the participation of native speakers of the target language.
Online tests, games and dictionaries can be found on various sites that offer both ready-made thematic developments and services for creating your own materials.
Currently, many well-known publishing houses produce books not only in paper, but also in electronic format. I would especially like to note that currently one of the most popular languages in the world is English, this language is certainly called the language of business and travel.
I would like to suggest several sites that will help new students in learning English:
- Englex.ru. All materials on the site of the Inglex online school are prepared by experienced English teachers who know how to work with elementary students;
- Study.ru. Study.ru is a whole knowledge base for those who are just starting to learn English. The site has a guide to English grammar, structured phrasebooks for all situations, tests and other useful information for beginners;
- Bistroenglish.com. Bistro English is a great site for those who want to learn modern spoken English in a simple, fun and freeway. Here you will find a rich collection of English lessons for beginners. You will study grammar, words and phrases for every day, phrasebooks for tourists, and also learn the language from films and songs. If you practice regularly, the results will not be long in coming;
- Duolingo.com. Another Russian-language universal online resource for learning English for beginners is Duolingo. On this site, you can also practice English online for free, but you will not be accompanied by a lion cub, but by a funny green owl. On Duolingo, you learn words in context, in short, simple sentences. This is very convenient, since you can immediately use ready-made phrases in your speech.
In addition, for students who want to take the exam, I recommend sites that are free and useful for them. They can study independently and pass this international exam. These sites provide an opportunity to prepare for IELTS for free from scratch on your own or to supplement the main classes in the courses in this way. They usually cover all parts of IELTS (Listening, Reading, Writing and Speaking), include helpful articles, sample assignments, skills training resources and IELTS mock exams.
- GlobalExam. This is a universal international portal, the purpose of which is to help students prepare for various exams, including TOEFL, DELF, TOEIC and many others. An impressive section of the site is devoted to preparing for the IELTS test. Here you will find useful tips and life hacks for preparing for the exam, manuals for learning English, IELTS practice tasks and interesting articles about the test and English in general;
- IELTS Exam. On this popular portal, you will find everything you need to know about the IELTS exam. Test descriptions, tasks, grammar, preparation tips and examples are a very useful resource from an informative point of view;
- IELTS Portal. The site of the IELTS preparation school will be useful not only for those who want to study at the school itself, but also for those who prepare for the exam on their own. There is a detailed description of all parts of the test, as well as resources for preparing for them — examples of tasks and answers, useful articles and much more. All this is in Russian, so this portal is especially convenient for Russian-speaking users;
- Polyu. Polyu is a very user friendly and easy to use IELTS preparation website. All site resources are sorted into four main sections: description, preparation tips and IELTS tests for self-examination and practice. In addition, each section is provided with additional links, which can be especially helpful if you are preparing for IELTS on your own;
- EngVid. This site has hundreds of free videos to help you improve your English vocabulary and grammar quickly. Users can also access videos on particularly difficult topics, such as idioms and differences between accents. This is an excellent resource for those who are preparing for IELTS, primarily for preparing for the oral part of the exam;
- Examenglish. A detailed description of the test and answers to frequently asked questions can also be found on the Examenglish portal. The site contains practical tasks for all parts of the IELTS exam and a dictionary, sections with useful literature, links to applications and other useful resources;
- IELTS Blog. This is a simple and clear site that gives a complete picture of ILETS, structure, features and tasks of the exam. Here you can find tips for passing each part and each type of IELTS questions, as well as real examples of the tasks themselves, answers and essays for the written part of the exam.
As I mentioned before, the Internet is an integral part of our life. Thus, without the use of ICT in the educational process, it is difficult to imagine modern lessons. ICT contributes to the activation of students' cognitive activity, increases interest in the study of specific academic disciplines, students have the opportunity to master the content of subjects in a bright, interesting way, as well as test their skills in interactive activities.