Stress — specific psychological condition in which a person experiences strong tension. How often now we hear the word "stress". About him write articles in Newspapers and magazines, discussing its implications in radio and TV programs. Many experts in the field of medicine, psychology, all our sorrows and failures are attributed to stress. The best protection from around us talking about stress is a personal awareness of the nature and consequences of stress.
The term "stress" was introduced by the canadian physician Hans Selye to refer to certain States. Developing the theory of stress, Selye believed that almost any significant human event in life causes stress. These events can be not only negative, but also to cause positive emotions and feelings in humans. For example, it can be a award or a promotion, marriage or a place of residence.
Depending on the region of the impact of stress and level of response of the organism there are four types of stress:
- cognitive (cognitive).
Physiological stress is the real disease of an organ of the body, or other uncomfortable physical sensations. For example, headache, exacerbation of allergic reactions, rapid heartbeat, drowsiness or insomnia. Emotional instability, mood swings, irritability, anxiety, irritability, aggressiveness is a manifestation of the emotional kind of stress.
Manifested in behavior, inappropriate or unusual before human reaction, says behavioral stress. For example, it may be: increased Smoking, putting off work, use of profanity, loss of interest in personal appearance, tardiness.And when to others, we remain the same, trying to keep herself emotionally, but suffer disturbing thoughts that can distract your mind from the problem situation is a cognitive stress. Stress may take a couple of areas of behavior, then it will be mixed.
The basic rules of behavior under stress. Various life difficulties standing in our way and forcing us sometimes experience stress cause in the body some biochemical reactions. This is a programmed reaction to the pressure exerted on our body, which at this point increases our physical, mental, and other capabilities. These capabilities and resources are typically always enough to our body, therefore we may even not feel as such, stress. If stress becomes predominant over the other States of our body, it is important to act correctly to avoid burnout and not become a prisoner of distress.
A successful exit from a stressful condition is directly linked with Your response and strategy in it. Realizing that the stress in Your professional field starts to pull You more and more, make the most available to You in each specific case the choice:
To accept all difficulties and to try in whatever was to resolve them. To resist this situation and not allow stress to occupy our thoughts. To concede the issues and accept the inevitable stressful state, waiting for everything to resolve itself.
You can combine the suggested options. But, according to the author of the theory of stress, the canadian physiologist H. Selye, despite the fact that each person has their own level of stress and adequate response to it, people are not inclined to passively evade all difficulties, and strive to fight them.
To determine Your stress level, complete the following exercise.
- Determine for yourself a stressful situation, the circumstances arising in Your professional life, providing You negative impact. Then analyze and determine your mental state (mood, emotions, dominant thoughts) and behaviors, which arise in such situations. Focus on how You usually psychologically protected from these situations. What behavioral strategies are the most effective and efficient in stressful circumstances that You have identified? How you will neutralize their impact?
The features of your mental and behavioral condition in a stressful situation can depend on the following conditions:
- the goals and objectives of Your professional activities;
- Your willingness to solve tasks typical for Your place of work;
- Your ability to monitor our actions and to manage emotions;
- subjective importance of emerging situations and environments.
The workforce professional activity in General very often provoke a variety of conflicts. This is due to the fact that the organization gathers under its roof a large number of completely different not familiar with each other people who have then a long time to spend together and do joint relationship productive for production. Conflicts and stressful situations are an integral part of our lives, the reality in professional activity.
The presence of the situation which could escalate into conflict, does not mean that the conflict began. There should be two main conditions under which conflict is inevitable:
- the existence of a conflict situation;
- behavioral actions of the conflicting parties to the confrontation.
What are the reasons of conflict situations in the professional field can continue? We list the most important reasons:
Divergent interests and values among employees.
Shortage and uneven distribution of important for equal status colleagues production of goods. For example, technical equipment, award, organization of work space, stationery, etc.
- Objectively insufficient material and technical equipment of the professional activities of employees.
- A weak organizational culture, not regulations and rules of the professional relationship.
- Improper or confusing the actions of my colleagues, have value for You or to You.
- For subjective reasons arising in connection with the development of informal relations in the workplace.
An example of the reasons of subjective character can be features of perception of the employee's particular situation, such as psychological conflict or incompatibility between colleagues type of temperament. A valid presence in the workplace conflict initially, the identity, the behavior which seeks to continuous competition, calling demonstration of their competencies and the call to fight.
Another example of the subjective causes of conflict in the work environment can be a fundamental discrepancy between individual employee values and values accepted in the team and are key to organizational culture of the enterprise. As well as lack of professionalism, lack of volitional qualities in an employee, and weak self-control and self-regulation of behavior. The work team leaders, provoking conflict — a frequent example of the development of conflict relations in the professional sphere.
Besides the causes of conflict relations in professional team of employees, conflicts can occur for reasons related to the management. A AK long-term practice shows, the main causes of conflict in the following:
- lack of motivation of professional duties or inappropriate for this group of employees;
- insufficient to provide workers with material and technical equipment, lack of care for the organization of the external conditions;
- not consistent demonstration of leadership behavior with the actual circumstances of the work;
- assumptions human errors, improper distribution among the employees of their professional duties.
How to resolve the conflict. If you are not able to prevent the conflict at the stage of defining the conflict situation and its causes, it is necessary to be able to solve the occurred conflict in Your workplace. Rules of conflict-free behavior
Communication in the trade and all interactions with colleagues and leadership can be done without conflict, if not to forget about some useful rules of conduct. By following them constantly, You not only will spend their energies and other resources on the resolution of trade conflicts, but also acquire among colleagues the honorary title positive and non-conflict person. This, in turn, will assist You in the successful promotion.
Rules for conflict-free communication:
- in your speech, watch out for words that might cause offence or negative reactions of the employee and provoke conflict situations in the team. These words or phrases are called conflictogenes, as they are aimed at provoking the same communication, with interactive part. Conflictogenes spread conflict situation for all participants. Never use contentious in communication with colleagues and management;
- if You heard referring to You colleagues words conflictogenes, don't answer him the same, not to allow the spread of conflict. Believe me, ignoring such words does not mean Your weakness and submission, but on the contrary emphasizes Your strength as a specialist. For colleagues guide against You conflictogenes like Your unexpected reaction will make his words meaningless.Conflictogenes to You, will lose its strength and significance;
- in the interaction and discussion that You do not understand the question or issue with which You disagree, try to put yourself in the shoes of Your partner and understand his point of view and feelings, driven in this case they. Demonstrate respect for the opinions of colleagues. Create a friendly mood in any interaction.